Before one can accept the new, you must let
go of the old. In doing so, you create space in your life for growth and
new adventures. An important part of preparing yourself for the new year is to:
Review the past year
Recognize the good and the bad
And to learn from it
To go where we aspire to go and be who we
wish to be, we need to know where we are and who we are. A truthful self-study
is always helpful to gain clarity.
At the beginning of this new year, it seems
for the most part fitting to dedicate some time to reflecting on the past and
where we find ourselves as the year starts.
Reflect upon everything you did, how you
felt about it, what you liked, what you didn’t like and most importantly what
you’ve learned. Try to look at yourself with as much objectivity as you can.
Here are some questions to get you started to mull over the past year:
- What did you learn? (any particular skills, knowledge, etc.)
- What did you achieve? A list of your wins and accomplishments
for example being a team leader on a specific work project.
- What would you have done differently? Why?
- What did you complete or let go of? What still feels incomplete
- What were the most significant events of the year past? List
the top three.
- What did you do right? What do you feel mainly good about? What
was your greatest role?
- What were the fun things you did? What didn’t you really enjoy?
- What were your biggest challenges and roadblocks?
- How are you different this year than last?
- What are you particularly grateful for?
One more hint: Consider making a list of
the things that you want to change or let go of in your personal life, work
life or just life in general. Be grateful for what they've brought you in terms
of learning and value and then let go of the past. Remember out with the old
and in with the new!
Now it’s time to focus on the future and
list down what you do want, what new things do you want to experience, material
things, a new job, or anything for that matter.
I'm positive that reflecting on the past
will give you more of an idea on where you see yourself, whether it’s in your personal
life or career. Make it a great new year by ending this one well!
Do you want to get a head start by
searching for a new job today? Communicate Recruitment is a recruitment
agency with specialist consultants that will assist you in finding exciting
opportunities, whether it’s Finance jobs, IT jobs, Engineering jobs, Freight
jobs or Supply Chain jobs. Check out our vacancy page and apply now!
Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net by Stuart